Guidlines & Procedures:
Each New England Slalom Series race allows a maximum of 125 entries. NESS will generally follow the USACK slalom racing rules for Closed Boats and the ACA Open Canoe Slalom racing rules for Open Boats. All boats must have flotation and all paddlers must wear PFDs & Helmets.
The final race ranking within each class at the NESS races will be determined by using the better of the two race runs for each competitor. Ties will be broken by using the better non-counting runs of the two competitors involved.
All races are sanctioned by the American Canoe Association and NESS uses their insurance carrier. Therefore all participants must complete and sign the waiver. ACA members with a valid number are covered as part of their membership benefits. Non-members must pay the $10 event fee for each race they enter.
Entrants should be aware that some popular races reach their limit early and might fill before the entry window deadline is reached. ALL RACERS ARE EXPECTED TO PERFORM RACE ASSIGNMENTS on all days of competition and participate in COURSE TAKE DOWN before the awards ceremony at the end of the race. Help all day Friday to set up the courses will always be greatly appreciated.
Official Slalom Racing Rules
For the most part, the NESS uses both sets of racing rules shown below. Minor exceptions include the fillowing:
- The number of competition classes listed in both rules has been reduced based on demand over the years at NESS events.
- Competitors are allowed to enter multiple age categories within a racing class.
Official Racing Rules:
- Closed Boat Slalom Rules 2017 USACK Whitewater Slaom Racing Rules.
- Open Boat Slalom Rules 2007 ACA Open Canoe Slalom Racing Rules.
Schedule at Races
- At least part of Saturday will available for full course practice runs.
- The racers meeting will be at 8:30 AM, unless otherwise noted, on Sunday followed by the two runs in both session A then B.
- At least part of Saturday morning will available for full course practice runs.
- The racers meeting will be at 12:30 PM, unless otherwise noted, on Saturday followed by the first runs in both session A & B.
- The racers meeting will be at 8:30 AM, unless otherwise noted, on Sunday followed by the second runs in both session B & A.